I feel like there are a lot of people, both in DC and in Hollywood, who see Wonder Woman as a character that needs “fixing”.
They see her origins as too confusing, too complicated; her Amazon background as intimidatingly feminist. They see her as too powerful, not relatable enough for the average reader or viewer.
And so they’ll give her a secret identity, bring back the old Diana Prince alias - because a special agent tackling superhuman issues is naturally relatable for the ordinary person.
Or they’ll drop her into an alternate timeline, stripping her of her past, her friends and her home.
Or they’ll gut her origins, changing utterly her history and heritage, and turning the women who raised her into utterly monstrous feminazi caricatures.
Or they’ll transform her into a psychotic torturer and murderer who designs her costumes with merchandising in mind and, after a long day of superheroing, has a tendency to curl up on the couch and sob over The Notebook while mooning over her ex-boyfriend. (I will never not wtf over that TV pilot, seriously.)
It’s painful to watch sometimes.
And I’m not saying there’s nothing that could do with revision or improvement, and I’m not suggesting that it’s a bad thing for a writer to bring their own spin to the character. But when you get down to it, what Wonder Woman needs isn’t to be “fixed”, but rather a writer who understands and embraces the character and her history, rather than shying away from it or seeking to remake her into something she’s not.
And those are the writers who bring us the best Wonder Woman stories, the most powerful and the most memorable. The images of Diana facing down the dragon’s flames unflinching; or squeezing the serpent’s venom into her own eyes, blinding herself in order to overcome Medusa - they’re the ones that stick with me. That’s the Diana I want to see.
I hope I’ll see her again some day.
- ashagreyioy reblogged this from jon-snow
- licedames likes this
- shmem72196 likes this
- greenkitsune reblogged this from nightwingess
- greenkitsune likes this
- youngjlover270 likes this
- redlore likes this
- nightwingess reblogged this from themyskira
- nightwingess likes this
- gingerthon reblogged this from arasellle
- thecommonloon likes this
- filmheroine likes this
- intheboneorchard reblogged this from arasellle
- ebbywaffle likes this
- maelstromatic likes this
- arasellle reblogged this from ebbywaffle
- sprygemini likes this
- agapeo likes this
- kaimonocarols likes this
- ebbywaffle reblogged this from themyskira
- nerdymagikarp reblogged this from comicbooksawesome
- superhero-geek21 reblogged this from daniyelmoon
- superhero-geek21 likes this
- daniyelmoon reblogged this from comicbooksawesome
- daniyelmoon likes this
- prayertohera reblogged this from themyskira
- superheroeskickingass reblogged this from shobogan
- lettheworldgo likes this
- rowedowntheriver likes this
- evashandor reblogged this from gingerberrycat
- davidbowie reblogged this from bloodofthebee
- nothaljordan likes this
- elvenarcher reblogged this from themyskira
- elvenarcher likes this
- belabor reblogged this from cleromancy
- sociopathtimelords reblogged this from somedaywewillfalldownandweep
- shiza-heiwajima reblogged this from surahj
- shiza-heiwajima likes this
- surahj reblogged this from themyskira
- penroseparticle likes this
- pentachord likes this
- tiktokofoz reblogged this from lastmanleft
- lastmanleft reblogged this from vikun
- teaviant reblogged this from dropkickbatarang and added:
- chickletgirl reblogged this from devildoll
- boringisthenewinteresting likes this
- irleerah reblogged this from cleromancy
- fandompoopingrainbows reblogged this from hawklocked
- xxjes reblogged this from sarafyna
- passionandfaith likes this